- About ECCC
- Organs of ECCC
- Legal Documents
- Media Center
On 15 September 2010, Nuon Chea and Khieu Samphan (together with Ieng Sary and Ieng Thirith) were indicted on charges of crimes against humanity, genocide and grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions of 1949 in what is referred as Case 002 before the ECCC. The charges against them are specified in the Closing Order of Case 002. As Ieng Thirith was found unfit to stand trial, and Ieng Sary died on 14 March 2013, the two remaining defendants in Case 002 are Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea.
In September 2011, the Trial Chamber decided to separate (sever) the charges in the Case 002 Closing Order into a series of smaller trials. The first trial in Case 002, referred to as Case 002/01 commenced on 21 November 2011, and on 7 August 2014 Nuon and Khieu Samphan was found guilty of crimes againgst humanity and sentenced to life imprisonment.
Case 002/02 refers to the second trial against Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea where additional charges from the Closing Order in Case 002 will be heard. In a decision on 4 April 2014, the Trial Chamber decided that the following alleged crime sites and factual allegations will form the basis for Case 002/02:
• Genocide against the Cham and the Vietnamese (excluding crimes committed by the Revolutionary Army of Kampuchea on Vietnamese territory);
• Forced marriages and rape (nationwide);
• Internal purges;
• S-21 Security Centre; Kraing Ta Chan Security Centre, Au Kanseng Security Centre and Phnom Kraol Security Centre;
• 1st January Dam Worksite; Kampong Chhnang Airport Construction site, Trapeang Thma Dam Worksite;
• Tram Kok Cooperative;
• Treatment of Buddhists (limited to Tram Kok Cooperatives); and
• Targeting of former Khmer Republic Officials (implementation limited to Tram Kok Cooperatives, 1st January Dam Worksite, S-21 Security Centre and Kraing Ta Chan Security Centre)
Trial hearings in Case 002/02 wil commence on 17 October 2014.
|Mr. EM Phoeung|
Ms. CHOU Koemlân
Ms. CHOU Koemlân Civil Party Case 002, she was born on 19/05/1951. This Civil Party suffers from psychological trauma as a result of losing her husband. She lost her hand during working in the KR regime. She has Mr. SAM Sokong and Ms. Lyma NGUYEN as national and international lawyers
Dr. CHAN Kin Ming, Medical Expert
Dr. CHAN Kin Ming is a geriatrician appointed by the Trial Chamber as medical expert to assess NUON Chea and KHIEU Samphan
Dr. HUOT Lina, Medical Expert
Dr. HUOT Lina is a psychiatrist appointed by the Trial Chamber as medical expert to assess NUON Chea and KHIEU Samphan
Ms. OUM Sophany
Ms. OUM Suphany, Civil Party Case 002, she was born on 18/11/1946. She suffers from being separated from her family and from being forcibly transferred. She has Mr. SAM Sokong and LIU Yiqiang as national and international Lawyers.
Mr. MEAS Sokha
Mr. MEAS was called to give testimony about the living and working conditions in the Tram Kok Cooperatives and Kraing Ta Chan security centre in Takeo Province.