The Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) has the honour to invite national and international public and the media to attend the Supreme Court Chamber Appeal Hearing in case 001 concerning the accused Kaing Guek Eav alias Duch accused of crimes committed in S-21 (Tuol Sleng) and related sites.
The session will commence in the main courtroom on Monday 28 March 2011 at 9 am and will continue on Tuesday 29 March and Wednesday 30 March from 9 am to 4:30 pm. If the hearing cannot complete within the three days, it will continue on Thursday 31 March from 9 am. The court provides simultaneous interpretation of its proceedings in three official languages of Khmer, English and French.
In order to ensure the order in the courtroom, all visitors must be seated in the public gallery by 8:45 am. It is recommended to arrive at the ECCC between 7:30 am and 8 am in order to leave enough time for security checking and issuance of tickets. Doors to the courtroom will close by 9:00 am or when all seats in the public gallery are fully occupied.
All persons seeking admission to the ECCC courthouse must present a proof of identification (including a photo) and must pass through a security check. Participants shall maintain dignity and proper behaviour all the time and shall wear appropriate clothing. Their clothing may not display slogans, indicate their support for or to be offensive any party of the proceeding. Please note that no persons under 16 years of age will be admitted to the court and persons 16 -18 will be admitted only with the guardianship of an adult. No mobile phones, cameras, laptops, recording devices, large bags, food or drink are permitted in the public gallery.
The ECCC is situated in Chaom Chau, 16 kilometres from downtown Phnom Penh, on the left hand side of National Road 4. Public and media please enter from the Visitors Gate at the eastern end of the compound.
Parking will be provided for visitors with their own buses, cars or motorbikes. Assistance for those with disabilities will be provided, including wheelchair access.
Seats in the public gallery of the main courtroom have been allocated as follows:
1) Civil Parties - 90 seats for the civil parties and appellants in Case 001. If these seats are not fully utilised by 9 am on the day of the hearing, they will be re-assigned to the general public.
2) Groups - 230 seats for villagers, students and monks arranged/escorted by the Public Affairs Section.
If these seats are not fully utilised by 9 am on the day of the hearing, they will be re-assigned to the general public.
3) General Public – 50 seats for individual members of the general public. Individuals are encouraged to register in advance and will be seated on a first come, first served basis.
4) NGO representatives – 30 seats for representatives of national and international NGOs with ECCC related programmes. NGOs are encouraged to register in advance and will be seated on a first come, first served basis. If these seats are not fully utilised by 9 am on the day of the hearing, they will be reassigned
to the general public.
5) Diplomats and Officials – 60 seats for diplomats and friends of the ECCC, including representatives
of donor countries and the Cambodian Government as well as recognized scholars specialized in the
ECCC. Advance registration is required. Deadline: Wednesday 23 March 2011 at 4 pm. If these seats are not fully utilised by 9 am on the day of the hearing, they will be re-assigned to the general public
6) Media – 20 seats for journalists. Advance registration is required. Preference will be given to print media when allocating the seats in the public gallery. The rest of the representatives of the media will be able to follow the proceedings from the pressroom on the ground floor. Media representatives who wish to be allocated a seat in the public gallery should submit a request for this together with their registration for attendance of the hearing (see below for media accreditation and registration).
To register for seats, please contact Chin Hemvichet as follows:
Phone: 023 219 814 extension 6065, or 012 696 220
Fax: 023 219 841
Media Accreditation for the appeal hearing:
Advance registration and accreditation is required for all media representatives who wish to be granted access to the ECCC on 28 – 31 March 2011. The following procedure will apply for media representatives seeking access to the ECCC for the appeal hearing:
a) Valid ECCC accreditation card holders must register their request for access to the appeal hearing with the Public Affairs Section by sending an email to PAS@ECCC.GOV.KH.
b) Expired ECCC accreditation card holders must re-submit a completed and signed Media
Accreditation Form (http://www.eccc.gov.kh/english/cabinet/fileUpload/26/ECCC_Accreditation_Media_Application_Form.doc) together with their request for registration to PAS@ECCC.GOV.KH. Please indicate the card
number on your expired ECCC accreditation card.
c) Non-ECCC accreditation card holders must submit a completed and signed Media Accreditation Form(http://www.eccc.gov.kh/english/cabinet/fileUpload/26/ECCC_Accreditation_Media_Application_Form.doc), a jpg portrait photo and copy of passport together with their request for registration to PAS@ECCC.GOV.KH
Deadline: Wednesday 23 March 2011 at 4 pm