In two separate decisions issued on 25 April 2014, the Trial Chamber found that both Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea are fit to stand trial. The decisions were made after the two accused perssons had been examined by three appointed medical experts in March 2014. The three experts appointed by the Trial Chamber were Dr. Seena FAZEL (United Kingdom), Dr. CHAN Kin Ming and Dr. HUOT Lina (Cambodia).
After reviewing the reports from the three experts, as well as weekly medical reports, the Trial Chamber concluced that it was satisfied that neither of the two accused is suffering from any mental or physical impairment which would make them unable to participate meaningfully in the proceedings of Case 002/02.
Read the decisions:
- Decision on Fitness of the Accused KHIEU Samphan to Stand Trial
- Decision on Fitness of the Accused NUON Chea to Stand Trial
In an order dated 8 April 2014, the Trial Chamber has notified the parties in Case 002/02 about the deadlines to file their lists of witnesses, experts and Civil Parties they seek called for testimony, as well as the documents and evidence they seek admitted during the next trial against Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea. After the parties have completed their fillings, the Trial Chamber will set a date for the Initial Hearing in this case.
Case 002/02 deadlines:
- List of proposed witnesses, experts and Civil Parties shall be filed by Friday 9 May 2014
- If a party intend to object to any witnesses, experts and Civil Parties posed by the other parties, they must indicate this to the Trial Chamber by 30 May 2014
- List of documents and evidence sought admitted during trial must be filed by Friday 30 May 2014
- List of uncontested facts must be submitted by Friday 6 June 2014
- The Parties shall also provide an indication of any legalissues they intend to raise at the Initial Hearing no later than Monday, 9 June 2014.