What rights will the defendants have?
Defendants (charged Persons and accused) have rights under Cambodian and international law. These include the right to:
- a fair and public hearing by a competent, independent and impartial tribunal;
- be presumed innocent until proven guilty;
- engage legal counsel of his or her choice, both Cambodian and international;
- have adequate time and facilities to prepare his or her defence;
- be tried in his or her presence and without undue delay;
- have legal counsel provided by the court if he or she does not have enough money to pay for it; and
- have the opportunity to examine the witnesses against him or her and to present his or her own witnesses.